Friday, August 12, 2011

Planning for October breeding

With plenty of grazing available, the does are adding back weight after their kids were weaned.
You can tell by the headline I have decided to breed for spring kidding. Yes, the spring kids didn't grow as fast as the winter-born kids, but they are growing at an acceptable level and are starting to look much better since they have adjusted to a diet without momma's milk.


Also, looking at the bottom line, I have sold most of the March-born percentage doelings — and at the same price I would have charged for winter-born doelings. So I sold the kids at an earlier age and got just as much money (and no one froze to death). It didn't take me long to figure out that if the money is the same, why go through the trouble of kidding in January when temperatures could drop into single digits and I could lose a lot of kids (revenue). There's no need taking the risk.


I have sold all the March-born doelings that I wanted to sell.
The 1/2 and 3/4 Kiko doelings brought $200-$350 at 4 months old.



No comments:

Post a Comment