Friday, July 8, 2011

Blue Goose Farms

Vance & Nichol Treuil of Blue Goose Farms In Sarah, Miss.
Here is a great example of how goats are bringing the world closer together. To help cover some of my costs traveling to the International Boer Goat Association National Show in Louisville, Ky., this week, I posted on the The_Boer_Goat Yahoo! group that I would transport goats from the Memphis area where I live to the Louisville area for a small fee. (This is something others who travel to shows and sales might consider to help cover costs. If you are responsible and know what you are doing, there is always a demand for goat transport.)


The first call I got was from Jane Cremola of Kentucky who wanted two Angora kids transported from Sarah, Miss. At first I thought she was confused about the city, because I am from Sarah! She assured me that Sarah was the correct address and the farm was on Blue Goose Road. Well, Blue Goose Road (no one seems to know where the name came from) is about 4 miles from where I live. Out of the thousands of folks who look at the Boer chat group, what are the chances that someone would want a goat hauled from just down the road?


I visited Vance and Nichol Treuil's Blue Goose Farms Wednesday to pick up the two kids — a boy and a girl. It turns out that Vance had visited my farm many years ago when he was researching the goat business. Because Nichol spins yarn, they had settled on Angora goats and Shetland sheep. It was good to get reacquainted with them and tour their farm. In addition to fiber animals, they produce chickens and eggs. They have a very nice homestead. Below are some snapshots from their farm.


A quick note: In another case of "what a small world it is", When I dropped off the kids in Kentucky, Jane's partner was David Thompson, a USDA employee that I had met before and who was helping inspect goats as they came into the Expo Center for the IBGA Nationals.


The kids are loaded in the goat tote and ready to go.





No comments:

Post a Comment